The MacBookAir4,2 works well with Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin. Earlier versions of Ubuntu work less well and need significant, expert setup.
This page aims to describe the steps needed, to fully enable all features of the 6-th Generation MacBookAir (release date: mid 2013) when using Ubuntu 15.10, Wily Werwolf.
You can find out, what model you have by typing at the terminal:
If you have a different model, please go here and find the right wiki.
Anything not mentioned here probably already works out of the box. If not, please refer to the Ubuntu Apple Users forum.
Suspend & Hibernate
needs manual install. See Backlight
Shut-down and Reboot
Keyboard functions (Brightness,volume,...)
needs manual install. See Wireless (AirPort)
not yet documented
SD card slot
HFS+ (OS X disc partition)
works (mounts read-only)
works (according to tlp stat)
Sensors (temps & fans)
works (according to tlp stat)
GPU Power Save
Basic Installation Instructions
Common things about installing and maintaining Ubuntu on Intel-based Macs: Intel CPU-based Macintosh Generic Installation Instructions
- Check on OSX with: Check on linux with:
2. Apple USB-Ethernet Adapter
3. USB-Stick (2GB at least)
1. Boot Macbook Air into OSX
2. Open Disk Utility
3. Select 'Macintosh HD' > (Tab)Partition
- Add (+) 3 more partitions 2nd Partition: Set 30-40GB for Ubuntu '/' 3rd Partition: Use as much space as left for '/home' 4th Partition: Set 4GB for Linux Swap partition
1. In OS X
2. Download iso image to ~/Downloads
3. Open Terminal (a detailed description can be found here.
1. Restart and press 'Alt'-Key on startup.
2. Make sure that the USB-Ethernet Adapter is inserted.
- (With a network connection the bcmwl-kernel-source module does **NOT** get downloaded during the installation process.) Select first USB-device labled 'EFI-Boot' and press 'Enter'. Select 'Install Ubuntu'
3. Choose 'Something else' for partitioning.
- Please check the sizes in the list according to the partitioning for the step above. OSX Disk Utility leaves unallocated partitions inbetween which usually are arround 128MB in size. Do not try to delete these 'blank' partitions. - 2nd partition should be ext4 formatted and mounted '/'. - 3rd partition should be ext3 formatted and mounted '/home'. (I use ext3 in order to use fuse-ext2 from OSX; ext4 is yet not supported) - 4th partition should be swap (no format and mountpoint required) Proceed ...
4. The installation process should run through smoothly.
5. Restart with pressed 'Alt'-Key.
- Reboot into OS X again and install 'refind'.
Download Binary Zip-File or Direct Download refind-bin-0.9.2.zipOpen a Terminal
6. Restart again. Now a Ubuntu labled '/efi/vmlinuz ... .efi' should be shown.
- Select this an start it, now the grub-menu should be displayed. Select 'Ubuntu'. Now Ubuntu should boot.
Requires an Apple USB-Ethernet Adapter.
Log into ubuntu 15.10 and open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t).
Attach Apple USB-Ethernet Adapter. Update all packages:
Install wlan driver
Now networks should be found.
Works. You may want to change default ALSA sound card (needed for Lubuntu) - put this in /etc/asound.conf:
iSight HD webcam does not work as Apple changed to PCI for higher resolution raw images. The camera is not recognized as USB device. The current iSight-Firmware cutter does not help here.
Works via thunderbolt --> DVI out of the box.
Works. See also AppleKeyboard#Corrections page for fine tuning.
To change Function keys such that they are used as first key
Finetuning Powersave functions
With the procedures enabled below ~10h on battery can be achieved.
1. Install powertop and tlp
For detailed Instructions on tlp refer to tpl wiki.
2. Run powertop autotune
3. Adjust /etc/default/tlp (only changes are shown)
- Restart tpl with Check if settings took effect with powertop.
4. Enable more powersaving options
Put this script 99macbookair6 under /etc/pm/power.d/99macbookair6Create a new file Make executable Add a new systemd service Enable the new service
5. Enable i915 powersaving
Add the following line in /etc/default/grub
Then run sudo update-grub and reboot. After that:
There is a strange bug with backlight. All settings (using F1, F2 keys) work great but after suspend your can only get 0% or 100% backlight.
Patrik Jakobsson wrote a kernel module that directly programs the backlight driver and it works!
I915 Driver Linux
If you don't want to compile by yourself, use the attached deb file <attachment:mba6xbl-dkms_1.0.0_all.deb>. Please note that the deb file only contains the sources but no binaries.
1. Install Build-Essentials and headers
2. Download mba6xbl-dkms_1.0.0_all.deb and install it with
Note: You'll need to repeat this installation step each time you kernel gets updated.
3. Load the module:
4. Log out and log back in. It should load automatically on next boot.
Display colors are not true by default. To have right color profile, you should consider import ICC color profile from your OSX installation, located on your OSX partition at /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays.
Ubuntu Driver Download
You can import this profile from System-Settings into the Color settings pannel.
Canon Printer Drivers For Mac